RE: CRIME Hack-Back another perspective

From: Rosenquist, Matthew (matthew.rosenquist@private)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 08:18:49 PDT

    Zot,

    I see your analogy to be a bit off the mark and may lead the casual observer
    to inappropriate conclusions.  Your example of "self defense" (i.e.
    attempted murder) is considered a "crime against persons" and yes you have
    the right to defend yourself/others with reasonable force.  However, we are
    not talking about a "crime against persons" we are discussing what the penal
    code recognizes as a "property crime".  A better analogy would be someone
    who is spray painting graffiti on your garage or placing sugar in your gas
    tank.  Property damage yes.  But does that give you the legal or moral
    rights to track down where this person lives and burn their house down?  No.
    Lynch mobs are (hopefully) a thing of the past.  We have law enforcement to
    conduct investigations and a judicial system to prosecute such property
    crimes.

    An interesting side note however, as this is a property crime, you have
    civil litigation options.  So instead of burning the culprit's residence to
    the ground, sue him out of house and home.

    Matthew Rosenquist