Re: CRIME GNU Help

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 23:19:33 PDT

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    >I think any legislation that "directs" or "demands" the state to use open
    >source without equally considering commercial, is a bad idea. Public
    >entities should weigh both commercial and open products together. And
    >whatever solution works best should be used.

    I think there is merit in the proposition that a civil servant should
    explain why they are spending public money on a commercial product when
    a free product might work as well. It is roughly on par with demanding
    an explanation for why the government just gave away some money to some
    particular individual. There may well be a sound reason (features,
    performance, compatibility, support, TCO, etc. etc.) but an explanation
    should be demanded.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/