RE: CRIME GNU Help

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 23:08:07 PDT

    I think any legislation that "directs" or "demands" the state to use open
    source without equally considering commercial, is a bad idea. Public
    entities should weigh both commercial and open products together. And
    whatever solution works best should be used. If that means commercial, then
    commercial it should be. Just because something is "free" doesn't mean it
    better. Furthermore, many things that are "free" aren't really free. There
    are hidden costs, like support, administration, documentation, etc.

    As for quality and security, my feeling is that everything (open source or
    commercial) has its positives and negatives. You're basically choosing which
    positives and negatives you find most appealing.

    The best solution is to let the free-market decide. Public organizations
    should have options, just like any other consumer. They shouldn't be forced
    into using any technology.

    Furthermore, from my experience, many government agencies DO consider and
    use open source technologies. I don't see why legislation is necessary. It
    would just create more paperwork and administrative overhead?

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Enterprise Security

    503-644-5656 Office