RE: CRIME GNU Help IV

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 22:53:01 PDT

    I still don't understand why this legislation is necessary. The State
    already has the option to consider and use open-source. I see plenty of
    open-source technologies in use at public institutions, especially schools
    and universities. My firm is doing a project with a public agency right now
    and a some of the systems we're installing use open-source software and some
    use commercial software. Nobody forced us into these decisions. We chose
    them because they are the best solution based on the requirements. The
    agency that contracted us agreed.

    So why do we need this law? Why should open-source be given some "special
    class" of consideration when open-source is ALREADY being considered and
    used?

    Before such a law is put on the books, I think these issues (and others)
    need to be clarified. I think Mr. Starr should hold off on this bill until
    the ramifications of such legislation can be more appropriately addressed.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Enterprise Security

    503-644-5656 Office