RE: CRIME And finally

From: Nick Murphy (nmurphy@private)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 09:55:49 PDT

    I have used a drive duplicator (http://www.proworkstation.com/) to create a bit by bit image of the drive to another drive.  This drive duplicator does not make any changes to the original disk, so your imaged drive is free to use and you will not cause any damage to the evidence.
    If you live in the windows world, or any OS, and have a drive that runs windows you should never boot to those drives.  You ruin your evidence the second you do that because you will overwrite sectors and timestamps and some system files will change.
    Another thing to add, keep a chain of evidence and a log of everything that has been done and make sure the evidence is always locked in a secure place.

    Nick Murphy