Re: CRIME tips for preventing identify fraud after a wallet, purse, or checkbook has been stolen?

From: Michael Regan (lortap@private)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 13:59:10 PDT

    Greg,

    The most important steps are the common sense ones of canceling all stolen /
    lost credit cards, and changing bank account numbers.  Also it’s a great
    idea to call the local police department where you think the item was lost
    or stolen, sometimes an honest citizen will turn it in (actually a lost item
    or the found remains of a thief who just wanted cash).  The drivers licenses
    (DL’s) are much harder to keep for the criminal as ID thefts, since renewals
    will require visiting a DMV where most DL records will have a digital
    picture on file, and most DMV clerks check the on file photo against the
    person getting / replacing an old DL.  As a last resort I have seen DL
    numbers changed if the problem is big enough.

    I actually know of a case in our local little city where a good Samaritan is
    now several thousand dollars richer after finding a lost bank bag, turned it
    in, and then claimed finders rights when the owner never came forward, or
    did not have the forethought to watch the paper or call the police.

    Mike