CRIME Interesting read-no big surprise

From: jwood (jwood@private)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 18:29:29 PDT

    Microsoft Security Notices: A Double Standard on Spam?

    August 9, 2003
    By: Larry Seltzer

    One of the mailing lists I read carefully is SecurityFocus's excellent
    Focus-MS list. In the aftermath of Microsoft's disclosure in July of the
    infamous RPC/DCOM vulnerability and its patch release (known in MS
    security jargon as MS03-026), an interesting discussion arose on
    Focus-MS about Microsoft's efforts to publicize the disclosure and
    patch.

    A reader said he had received a broadcast e-mail, apparently from
    Microsoft, reminding him of the MS03-026 problem and patch. But the
    message came from windowssecurity@private This raised his
    suspicion, since the details of the message header looked as if the
    message hadn't originated with Microsoft.

    When he and others on the list started investigating the matter further
    it got even fishier: Surf to email.microsoft.com and you arrive at a
    page on the site of Digital Impact Inc. According to the page, "Digital
    Impact is the premier provider of online direct marketing solutions for
    enterprises. We send permission-based online direct marketing campaigns
    on behalf of our clients. You may have landed on this page as the result
    of a server error or an invalid URL." I received the message too, but
    had immediately deleted it without much scrutiny because I had already
    applied the patch.

    Confusion reigned on the thread for a while, but it didn't take long for
    someone to find Microsoft's explanation of its relationship with Digital
    Impact. It seems that Microsoft uses Digital Impact to send out some of
    their broadcast mail messages. Microsoft's explanation also calls
    Digital Impact "the premier provider of online direct marketing
    solutions for enterprises."

    Now, Digital Impact has a bit of a reputation though among e-mail and
    newsgroup administrators. If you read the news.admin.net-abuse.*
    newsgroups and search for Digital Impact, you'll find a lot of
    references (and many thanks to Thor Larholm for the reference and other
    contributions to the thread).

    At the same time, other things were wrong with the message. Firstly, it
    wasn't digitally signed, in violation of Microsoft's own policies; in
    fact, Microsoft warns users to look for this as a sign of hoax messages.

    In addition, the links in the message to the patch site give the
    appearance of going straight to Microsoft's site, but in fact redirect
    through a link at email.microsoft.com. It uses some funny code,
    indicating that Digital Impact is tracking users response to the
    message. This is also a major no-no! Here's an example of the code:

    <A
    HREF="http://email.microsoft.com/m/s.asp?HB9706797779X2612303X228387X">
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp>

    A Microsoft rep on the microsoft.public.security newsgroup said the
    message was not a hoax.

    I might be naive here, but I'm inclined to give Microsoft the benefit of
    the doubt. After all, it is a big company and whoever is in charge of
    dealing with spam doesn't know about this relationship.

    But on the other hand, it's hard to look at Microsoft's description of
    their relationship with Digital Impact and believe they didn't know who
    they were dealing with. "THE premier provider of online direct marketing
    solutions for enterprises"? Sounds like Internet marketer code words for
    "spammer" to me.

    Security Supersite Editor Larry Seltzer has worked in and written about
    the computer industry since 1983.

    More from Larry Seltzer
    • Microsoft Security Notices: A Double Standard on Spam?
    • Black Hat: Security Conference or Burglar School?
    • Even Antivirus Scanners Make Mistakes
    • Put Antivirus Protection Where it Belongs—On the ISP
    • The Doomsday Machines of Malicious Software

    Jim Wood
    jwood@private
    MW Technology Group Inc
    DBA:  Zebra Computer Repair & Networking
    360-736-7000

    ---