Re: CRIME SOBIG ADVISORY

From: Raan Young (raan@graand-visions.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 18:33:40 PDT

    I feel compelled to share the following (don't ask me why...)

    Them:
        We, Cybersite, have detected the  W32/Sobig.F@mm virus that appears
    to have come from your mail server.  It was sent in an attachment
    your_details.pif,  ...
        This notice is sent as a courtesy so that you have the option of
    contacting your user and helping them get rid of the virus.
        If your mail server had better virus protection, it would have
    caused less work for our server and could have prevented one of your
    users from getting a virus.

    Us:
        On the other hand, if your mail server weren't running a lame virus
    scanner you could have saved our mail server from getting umpteen
    hundred of these stupid "helpful" messages for a user who never sent you
    the infected email in the first place.
        Cybersite is apparantly unaware that the Sobig virus forges the
    return address and therefore sending a "warning" to the sender is pretty
    much pointless, not to mention annoying for the innocent sender.

    And the classic response:
        User mailbox exceeds allowed size: root@...