Re: CRIME More identity theft "goodness"

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 23:21:51 PDT

    On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 20:50, Karl Kulaga wrote:
    > I read an article about p2p apps, etc and how Joe User tends to share his
    > entire hard disk which exposes virtually everything to the outside world -
    > not good if Joe works on work documents at home. Ditto for tax returns, et
    > al. Something IT folks might think about if your users can work from home.
    >
    > http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2002/apr-jun/kazaa.html

    The same is true if they use Windows at home and surf the net  (Getting
    infected by BackOriface and its relatives.) or get infected by any of
    the viruses that send documents from the infected machine or have open
    file shares or run insecure or misconfigured services or any other ways
    that proprietary information can get leaked.

    Worrying about "illegal file sharing programs" when users are known to
    do much more risky things with home systems seems to be more RIAA FUD
    than a real concern.  (Especially if you have a business that insists on
    using Outlook and/or Windows.)

    If they are working on sensitive information on systems connected to the
    internet on unsecured machines, then they are asking for trouble.

    Blaming file sharing programs for user carelessness is not going to
    resolve the problem.

    --
    Alan <alan@private>