Re: CRIME MS Messenger Vulnerability

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 16:03:08 PDT

    On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:48:15PM -0700, Solomon, Charlie wrote:
    >         I've got a site that's using a Sonicwall firewall with no ports open
    > and specifically has cleared the checkbox for 'Allow NetBIOS from LAN to
    > WAN".  One of those users at that site is getting a popup when the machine
    > is booted up that says
    >
    >         From machinename To machinename
    >                 A virus has been detected.  Please contact your
    >                 administrator.

    I strongly recommend running a tool such as ad-aware. Perhaps you aren't
    seeing messenger traffic as much as some annoying pop-up that the machine
    itself triggers.

    (Or, to use the terminology of 1997, maybe you're using Pull technology
    rather than Push technology to see these things.)

    --
    Demand voting integrity: http://verify.stanford.edu/evote.html