Re: CRIME Electronic Voting Security

From: T. Kenji Sugahara (sugahara@private)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 15:39:20 PDT

    Crispin,

    There is an assumption that is being made here.... the assumption is
    that the mail carrier knows which choices are made on specific ballots.
      Otherwise, if the carrier misdirects mail from certain districts the
    mail carrier could be misdirecting ballots that could be in favor of
    the mail carrier's perspective.  If there is a larger disappearance
    from specific counties, then you could make the argument that there is
    a higher statistical likelihood that ballots favoring one party would
    more likely have disappeared.  However, to have that much of an impact,
    that sort of voter fraud would become apparent quite quickly (by
    comparing historical voting records).  In addition, tampering with
    ballots themselves would be pretty apparent, and quite time consuming
    for the individual hypothetical partisan carriers.

    In terms of voter intimidation, that still happens at both at and
    outside the polls.  For example, certain groups can be dissuaded from
    voting by threats of force.  Certain groups/individuals can be deemed
    ineligible to vote though they are.

    In essence, both vote by mail and traditional voting methods have
    positives and negatives.  For me, I enjoy being able to vote from home
    and not having to go somewhere to vote.

    k-