CRIME Re: Microsoft patch now virus

From: Craig.Schiller@private
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 09:17:47 PDT

    This e-mail spoofs the sender so it only looks like it comes from
    security.microsoft.com.  The real originator from the last copy I received
    was a Verizon DSL user using an account in Everett, Washington.   The
    publicly visible address was 4.47.73.9 but the individual actual address
    may be natted.  You can check your PC by running ipconfig (Win2K and above)
    from the dos line or winipcfg (win 9x) and looking at the gateway address.
    Your PC may be assigned a private address like 192.168.1.x but the DSL
    modem/router translates that address into its publicly visible address.  If
    your gateway address begins with 4.47.x.x then your PC may be the actual
    source of the Microsoft Patch now emails that have been hitting the CRIME
    mailing list.  I say this on the possibility that the infected machine is
    one of our regular responders.

    Craig A Schiller, CISSP
    Global Information Security Officer
    RadiSys Corporation
    craig.schiller@private
    503.615.1646

    This electronic message contains information which may be confidential,
    privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
    intended to be used solely by the named recipient(s).  If you are not a
    named recipient, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use
    of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If you have received
    this transmission in error, please notify me immediately.

    |         |           Crispin Cowan    |
    |         |           <crispin@immunix.|
    |         |           com>             |
    |         |           owner-crime@private|
    |         |           x.edu            |
    |         |            10/12/2003 10:01|
      |                                                                                                                               |
      |       To:       carter@private                                                                                              |
      |       cc:       crime@private                                                                                              |
      |       Subject:  Re: CRIME ADMININSTRATOR:                                                                                     |

    Carter Ames wrote:

    >Is there ANY possible way to block messages from
    >security.microsoft.com "download this patch" from
    >posting to the list?  Now that I posted my frustration
    >about it, the amount doubled.  I asked again, the
    >amount doubled again.  Is the amount of these emails
    >going to be doubled again because I'm suggesting a
    >change?

    For the lists that we administer @ immunix.com, what we did was set the
    Spamassassin score for "attached .exe" to be 5.0, which is the default
    threshhold for scoring an item as spam.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/