RE: CRIME Security experts nix Internet voting plan

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 11:11:37 PST

    Its been in the works for a while. Diebold, Accenture, and a local firm
    Saber Consulting bid on the contract. The Secretary of State chose the
    local firm, Saber, to do the job. Its part of the federal Help America
    Vote Act (HAVA).

    Part of the reason Saber won was because Diebold and Accenture's
    solutions have serious security problems. When I met with the Secretary
    of State's selection team, I pointed the security weaknesses in those
    products. It wasn't the only reason they picked Saber, but it was
    certainly a factor.

    Oregon won't do away with the mail-in ballots as far as I know. But the
    remainder of the system is being updated to do electronic data gathering
    and registration.

    ___________________________________
    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant