Re: CRIME Security experts nix Internet voting plan

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 14:44:25 PST

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    >The system under development is mostly focused on vote collection,
    >storage, voter registration, validation, and analysis, etc. To my
    >knowledge, they will continue with mail-in ballots and use this system
    >to process and validate those ballots. I would assume that the mail-in
    >ballots could provide the audit trail of exactly how votes were cast.

    Makes sense.

    >Beyond that, I can't really discuss any technical details of the system
    >for obvious security reasons.

    That is not obvious. There is a lot of evidence that open systems are
    more secure than closed systems. OTOH, "... can't really discuss any
    technical details of the system for obvious *proprietary* reasons"  is
    obvious :)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com
    Immunix 7.3           http://www.immunix.com/shop/