RE: CRIME Citibank e-mail scam

From: Longbottom Inquiries (info@private)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 11:13:30 PST

    I for one agree that we need to stand our ground. Changing your email
    accounts is acceptance of defeat IMO, but the tempation is certainly
    there.

    Another non-trivial effect of spam is the increasing problem of valid
    email being lost to flawed or inappropriately implemented spam filtering
    tools, either at the user or server level.

    Fred Langa performed an interesting experiment to see just how much of a
    problem this is for your legitimate email traffic. His methodology was a
    little flawed, but the results were interesting nonetheless.

    For a brief overview, see:
    http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-01-12.htm#2

    A complete description of the tests, and the group-by-group results, are
    posted at:
    http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=1730001
    6

    Regards,
    ----------------------------------
    Andrew Morse
    Network Administrator
    Longbottom Coffee and Tea Inc.
    http://www.longbottomcoffee.com
    1-800-288-1271 Fax 1-503-681-0944
    ----------------------------------

    <<<Joe St Sauver stated on Sunday, February 29, 2004 10:37 AM>>>

    I'm like you -- I'm going to stay with the username I've had for a long
    time, and stand and fight. Trying to hide is a losing strategy, unless
    you want to
    just lurk rather than fully participate.

    In terms of spam volume, because we block at connect time, a single
    blocked connection can translate to a thousand or even ten thousand
    pieces of blocked spam, but you may find the spam blocking statistics at

    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/spam-volume-stats.html

    of interest, at least in terms of trends. Some of the growth is
    associated
    with virus-related blocking, but then we all know that viruses and spam
    are
    just different parts of a complete ecosystem, right? E.g., see:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/news/4217

    Regards,

    Joe