Re: CRIME remote reboot W2K from linux.

From: Rob Magee (robmagee100@private)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 14:49:11 PDT

Crispin Cowan wrote:

> Shaun Savage wrote:
>
>> How do I remote reboot w2k machine from Linux?  I have some dual boot
>> machines on the network that I need to reboot into linux.  What can I
>> install on W2k to allow a network reboot from linux?  I have found
>> not free and MSwindows <-> MSwindows programs but no Linux -> w2k
>> programs.
>

> That's kind of strange, I would think going from W2K -> Linux would be
> harder.
>
> To go from Linux -> W2K:
>
>   1. use a boot loader like LILO or GRUB
>   2. in linux, edit the configuration file so that the default system
>      to boot is windows
>   3. run "shutdown -r now" and the machine reboots
>   4. when it comes back up, it chooses the default W2K system and
> boots it
>
> Going back the other way under GRUB would require the ability to edit
> /boot/grub/menu.lst from W2K which would be rather hard. Under LILO it
> would require the ability to edit lilo.conf and run lilo from W2K
> which would be extremely hard.
>
> Crispin

I think Shaun was asking for a Remote reboot tool to use from a Linux
box to reboot a Win2k box.

If the remote dual-boot machine was set to default to a Linux OS, I
haven't had the necessity to ever use it for that purpose, but Samba's
rpcclient  ( http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/rpcclient.1.html ) has
the remote shutdown capabilities that he is looking for as well as most
of the Windows Admin Resource kit capabilities.

Obviously, you need to be able to pass proper authentication to the
remote box to succeed.

For WinX to WinX admin, I've found PSTools from SysInternals to be a set
of great command-line tools.

Rob Magee
Used to be Network Admin
Now Phone support tech