Re: CRIME wireless case study URLs?

From: Wil Cooley (wcooley@private)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 13:28:54 PDT

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 12:41 -0700, Warren Harrison wrote:

> actually, there is an Oregon statue:
>

>       164.125 Theft of services. (1) A person commits the crime of theft
> of services if:
>        (a) With intent to avoid payment therefor, the person obtains
> services that are available only for compensation, by force, threat,
> deception or other means to avoid payment for the services; or

It would seem to my un-legally-trained mind that "available only only
for compensation" would exclude open or unsecured access points.  The
operator of the access point is not providing service for compensation,
so no theft has occurred.  Unless it were to cause some interruption of
the operator's service, the operator has been done no harm.  I could see
that the case my be made if service were metered rather than flat
bandwidth and it could be shown that the allegedly illegal use put the
operator over his monthly minimum.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley@private