Re: CRIME wireless case study URLs?

From: Gary Driggs (gdriggs@private)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 14:43:18 PDT

Kenneth Emmons wrote:

>But what if the "service" is *not* intended for pay?

One could also argue it like this... What if you moved in to an
apartment and all the utilities were signed up to be auto-payed by the
last tenant's credit card? Water, gas, electric, cable TV, Internet...
all for "free" because the last person didn't bother to notify anyone
that they were moving on short notice. Someone somewhere is paying an
ISP for that WLAN connection. Would you put all your garbage in your
neighbor's garbage can just because they left it out on the curb once a
week? Would you use their water hose because they keep leaving it on the
edge of your lawn? Just because the person paying is ignorant is not
really a valid excuse for justifying your use of it without their
consent. Just because the Wells Fargo driver drove off and left a sack
full of money on the sidewalk doesn't mean you're welcome to help
yourself to some "free" cash.

Public or neighborhood access points that are advertised as such are a
different matter altogether. But if a friend of mine were to tell me
that he's "borrowing" access from the neighbor, I would encourage them
to go knock on their door and make friends with them. Maybe they'll want
to borrow a lawn mower some day in return. I'm not against war driving.
Although I don't practive it myself, I think it's entertaining and
educational. In fact, here's an idea for someone who could use some
extra consulting money -- find an open AP, contact the owner, and offer
your services in helping them tighten things up a bit.

-Gary

--

  Gary Driggs

Unix System Administrator

Extensis, Inc.

http://www.extensis.com/

phone: 503.274.2020 x191

email: gdriggs@private

Empowering digital assets

Notice: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you
have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy,
retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please
indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error, and
delete the copy you received. Thank you.