[Crime] Latest in Phish attempts

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 10:13:14 PST

I must get at least 5-6 phish e-mails a day.  (And that is what is
getting past my e-mail filters.)

They are starting to get a bit more "creative".  (Not to mention, they
are starting to use spellcheckers.)

I am now seeing e-mails from "admin@private" saying that they have
determined that they owe me a refund of $63.83 and to click here to get
it.  The e-mail originates in Poland and the web link goes to a server
in Japan.  I don't think they have outsourced that much. This one might
become a "seasonal favorite".

E-bay is also popular.  I am getting a number of variants.  The newest
is they claim to be buyers on e-bay wanting to know what happened to the
merchandise they bought.  (Maying you think that your e-bay account has
been hacked and panic and hit the link.)

The Paypal ones are getting more complex as well.  One of the last ones
I received was claiming that my account had been accessed from servers
in a bunch of countries and included a list of times and ip addresses.

The phish attempts seem to break down into a couple of categories.

- Mail to get you to panic.  Something has gone wrong.  Click on this
link to fix it.

- Something has gone right. Click here to claim your money.

- Mail that looks like something that you normally do day to day.  (If
you do lots of business on e-bay, you could get faked out by one of
these.)

- Someone has made a mistake that you can take advantage of.  (Misrouted
bank information, etc.)

It is interesting to see how some of these social engineering hacks
evolve over a period of time.  The smart ones are learning what works.

[One a side note: I am waiting for some "Engineering Society" to
complain about the term "Social Engineer" because they are not "real
Engineers".]