[Crime] Mapping Oregon Communities Workshop

From: Gina Clemmer, New Urban Research (gclemmer@private)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2006 - 15:43:00 PDT

Mapping Oregon Communities: An Introduction to GIS and Community Analysis Workshop - One Day Workshop

This unique, hands-on workshop teaches the fundamentals of how to use a Geographic Information System (GIS) in a way that is particularly relevant to social service providers, planners and researchers. Participants learn to make thematic maps of their community, geocode addresses and perform spatial queries and analysis. Participants also learn to extract and map Census variables such as race, poverty, language, education, health and many other demographic variables. Exercises are designed for beginners. Intermediate Excel skills required. Each students is assigned a computer on which to work for the day.

When:  August 29th (Tuesday) and 30th (Wednesday), 2006 (8:30 am - 4:30 pm) Note: This is a one day workshop. Please choose which date is most convenient for you.
Where: New Horizons Computer Learning Center - 9800 SW Nimbus Ave Beaverton, OR 97008 - Limited seating, please register early
Fee:    $399 Checks, Credit Cards and Purchase Orders Accepted

To register online or for more info visit http://www.newurbanresearch.org or telephone us 877.241.6576.

Workshop Materials

Materials include a comprehensive workbook (75 pages), which includes the presentation, exercises and reference worksheets, ArcGIS (ArcView 9.1) software 60-day trial CD set, a subscription to the Planners' ToolBox subscription service which provides access to new 2004 Tiger/Line geography files (already converted to shapefiles) such as streets, zip codes, school districts, voting districts, census tracts and many other useful geographies. The subscription also includes the online workshop Analyzing Your Community Workshop: Using the Census to Better Analyze Changing Places and People.

Workshop Agenda

Lesson 1
Learn the basic functions of ArcGIS 9.1
Adding data and geography layers
Working with Layouts

Lesson 2
Introduction to Census Bureau's American Factfinder
Downloading Census and American Community Survey data to map
Downloading free geography files including tracts, zip codes, blocks and several others
Preparing Census tract data in Excel to import into ArcGIS
Lesson 3
Creating thematic (color shaded) maps to display data
Joining data with geography files
Working with legends and interval breaks

Lesson 4
Address mapping (geocoding)
Downloading free business addresses

Lesson 5
Performing location queries
Performing attribute queries
Creating target area shapefiles

Lesson 6
Elements of good maps including colors, fonts and map must haves
Critique of several maps

Praise from participants of the Mapping Oregon Communities Workshop

Oregon Dept. of Transportation: "A VERY helpful workshop; good use of our time; good pace."

Oregon Dept. of Human Services: "This workshop was excellent. I particularly like the exercises and take home materials."

Port of Portland: "This was a very good class, the best GIS course I have had. I liked that we focused on building practical skills, focused on functional and not the theoretical."

West Linn-Wilsonville School District: "This was very good workshop, with an excellent instructor."

New Urban Research, Inc. is a national social research organization specializing in quantitative and spatial community analysis.
New Urban Research, Inc. 33232 NE 33rd Ave Portland, Oregon 97212 | 877.241.6576 | www.newurbanresearch.org

If you do not want to receive further announcements, simply reply with the word remove in the subject line. You will immediately be removed from the announcement list. Please note that under no circumstances will we share your email address with anyone else.