[Crime] Just Announced - Mapping Oregon Communities Workshops

From: Gina Clemmer, New Urban Research <gclemmer_at_private>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:34:31 -0500 (CDT)
Mapping Oregon Communities Workshop: An Introduction to GIS & Community Analysis

Eugene: June 2nd, 2009
Lane Community College - 4000 E. 30th Ave, BLDG 19 Rm 216 Eugene, OR, 97405

Portland: June 4th and 5th, 2009*
Kinetic Computer Solution - Congress Center Building, 1001 SW 5th Avenue, Suite 305 Portland, OR, 97204

*Note: These are one day workshops (8:30am - 4:30pm). Participants choose which one day to attend.

More Info/Registration: http://www.nur-online.com/

Audience: Beginners, anyone interested in mapping their community
Participants will learn to use ArcGIS 9.3 to do the following:

Create thematic maps
Participants will learn to create thematic maps of their own data, and display spatial trends in information.

Address mapping (geocoding)
Participants will learn to map addresses of their clients, their projects or incidents such as crime and disease.

Download and Map Census & American Community Survey Data
Participants will learn to extract and map current Census data such as poverty, race, language, population, transportation, education and workforce characteristics.

Participants will also learn to:
Conduct spatial queries
Download free shapefiles
Create well-designed maps

Mapping techniques transferable to all other communities. Exercises are designed for beginners. Intermediate Excel skills required.

Materials

+ Comprehensive workbook (75 pages), which includes the presentation, exercises and reference worksheets,

+ ArcGIS (ArcView 9.3) software 60-day trial CD set,

What People Are Saying About The Workshop

Oregon Department of Transportation: "A VERY helpful workshop; good use of our time; good pace."

Oregon Department of Human Services: "This workshop was excellent. I particularly like the exercises and take home materials."

Port of Portland: "This was a very good class, the best GIS course I have had. I liked that we focused on building practical skills, focused on functional and not the theoretical."

West Linn-Wilsonville School District: 'This was very good workshop, with an excellent instructor."

New Urban Research is a national social research organization specializing in quantitative and spatial community analysis.  NUR is an ESRI Business Partner.
New Urban Research, Inc. 2301 NW Thurman St Suite S. Portland, OR 97210 | 877.241.6576 | www.nur-online.com
To unsubscribe, click the link below.
http://d.ss31.nur-online.com/RWCode/subscribe.asp?SID=0&SiteID=15089&Email=crime@private&HitID=1240512626027