Re: Sample Chain of Custody Document

From: Baker,David W. (bakerdat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 03:47:14 PDT

    Michael Deyo wrote:

    > I am wondering if anyone could supply me with a sample Chain of Custody
    > document template.  I am attempting to build this document for a growing
    > forensic practice, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Here is a standard form, used by the US Army since Christ was a
    corporal.  It has successfully been used in a variety of court
    proceedings, and has withstood all manner of scrutiny.  The form is not
    really what ruins chain of custody, however, it is the person handling
    evidence that either fails to properly safeguard it, or is just plain
    lazy about documenting what they do.  Anyway, you can look at the form
    here:

    ftp://pubs.army.mil/pub/eforms/pdf/a4137.pdf

    There are plenty of places to document changes from one person to
    another, and if you run out of signature places, you use a second form,
    and write continuation page ___  and NOT USED in the description part,
    and keep on trucking.  Some of the form blocks are not necessarily
    intuitive, but most are, and you can get the Army's way of filling out
    the form, and what the fields are intended to be used for here:

    http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/19-20/ch12.htm#s9

    I hope this is of some assistance to you
     David W. Baker                            bakerdat_private
     Lead INFOSEC Engineer
     G023 - Secure Information Technology      (703) 883-3658
     The MITRE Corporation                     (703) 883-4589 (F)
     Mailstop W435
     1820 Dolley Madison Blvd                  McLean, VA, 22102
     "Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by
     billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by
     children being taught mathematical concepts... A graphic
     representation of data abstracted from the banks of every
     computer in the human system.  Unthinkable complexity.  Lines
     of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and
     constellations of data.  Like city lights, receding..."
     - William Gibson, "Neuromancer"

     "640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981