Re: computer forensics

From: John Mellon (jmellonat_private)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 04:43:26 PDT

    Mike,

    We use Norton's Utilities, Including Undelete, Diskedit, etc.

    We also use Safeback.  It is now owned and supported by NTI
    (http://www.forensics-intl.com/). It is an excellent imaging utility and will
    make verifiable forensic images of MS operating systems, Unix, Linux, MAC,
    Novell, etc.  We also use the NTI forensic tools.

    We use Encase Pro.

    We use RecoverNT.  They are about to release a beta version of a new forensic
    utility that will do some additional things that we asked them to write to
    assist in forensic examinations.

    We use our own wiping utilities.

    Why a multiple pass wipe?  It takes special equipment to go below the first
    level.  We had a rather involved thread about this topic not too long ago.

    Outlook (not Outlook Express) has a nice recovery tool called SCANPST.EXE.  If
    you zero out a few bytes in the file header, it will view the file as corrupt
    and it will scan the entire Outlook file and recover all recoverable mail
    messages, even deleted mail messages that have not been removed, and send them
    to a new file that can be accessed by Outlook.

    We also use QuickView Plus, KeyView Pro, Captain Nemo, Access Data's Password
    Recovery Toolkit and the Password Kit from www.lostpassword.com, just to mention
    a few other tools.

    Don't drool over Encase too much, it is a great tool, but you still need to know
    the basic methodology and fundamentals of forensic examinations to successfully
    testify in court.  Don't get caught in the trap of relying solely on a "tool" to
    conduct your forensic examination.

    John Mellon

    --

    John J. Mellon, CFCE