INODES: recovering a file in a particular directory

From: Ovanes Manucharyan (ovanes_mat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 02:13:55 PDT

    Hi,

    This is with a Solaris 8, on Ultra 5, with UFS.

    I have a compromised host, which shows  a recent /usr/lib/ modification date.

    I assume that something was added to this directory, however, after a thorough check,
    I am led to believe that whatever was added was also removed.

    Would the file being /usr/lib narrow down the number of inodes i have to search
    through. I seem to remember that in UFS a new file gets added to the same cylinder
    group(if possible) as the directory is in.

    Sincerely,

    Ovanes