Re: Possible Intrusion?

From: Jay D. Dyson (jdysonat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 22:01:10 PDT

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Kip Perkins wrote:

    > Good morning all. I was wonder if I could get some help on a possible
    > intrusion analysis. Recently I discovered some interesting things on a
    > RH Linux 6.2 box.

    	Congratulations.  You've been compromised.  Take the box off the
    'net.  If you've got a strong sense of curiosity, pick up a copy of The
    Coroner's Toolkit (TCT) at http://www.porcupine.org/forensics/tct.html and
    TCTUTILS (http://www.cerias.purdue.edu/homes/carrier/forensics/) and have
    fun.  If you just want to cut to the chase, back up your important data
    (no binaries or executables), format your drive, reload the current
    iteration of your OS (or get Immunix -- http://www.immunix.org/), apply
    all patches, restore your data, and hop back on the 'net.

    	Until such steps are taken, you're just courting further misery.

    	Now to answer what's what:

    > in /dev:
    > /dev/.w
    > /dev/.c
    > /dev/.cmd

    	Can't tell from the filenames, but I'd wager these are shells,
    given that they're used as such by the new accounts on your box.

    > in /etc/inetd.conf:
    > 6968 stream tcp nowait root /bin/sh sh -i

    	Interactive shell, bound as root.  Typical.

    > 2121 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in/telnetd

    	Dollars to donuts says your tcp wrappers have been trojaned.  This
    one was probably added in case you found the sh -i.

    > in /etc/passwd:
    > cmd:x:0:500::/dev/.cmd:/dev/null
    > command:x:500:501::/dev/.c:/dev/null
    > wizards:x:501:502::/dev/.w:/dev/null

    	The cmd account is root.  The command and wizards account are
    probably in place in case 'cmd' is found.  It's likely that /dev/.c and
    /dev/.w are suid shells, then.

    > This is all I can find that is wierd (translate- "I don't recognize").
    > Dones anyone recognize these entries? Is this a possible rootkit?

    	I don't recognize it right offhand, but the intruder wasn't very
    clever in masking her/his presence, so it's likely the product of a
    rootkit.

    	Happy salvaging.

    - -Jay

      ))   ))   .-"There's always time for a good cup of coffee."-.   >====<--.