Re: Issues with computer forensics

From: daniel heinonen (d.heinonenat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 21:20:01 PDT

    Marian,

    I have been told that police in my area backup all information to CD after
    they have collected evidence.

    I don't like the idea of this because I have had CD's die on me after a few
    years. Mind you if stored correctly some people argue that they last
    forever, other people argue they do not. I am talking to some people in the
    library achieves to see what research they have done on this. My thought is
    pick a format and make sure you are able to support it for as long as
    possible. Try to avoid proprietary formats and that sort of thing. Risks
    can only be avoided if you know about them. Correct procedures and
    understanding and consistency help alot. Good document on this is:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/focus/ih/articles/crimeguide1.html

    http://www.cops.org/ under procedures has how to examine a hard drive.

    Untrained examiner, lack of documentation, in proper chain of custody, use
    of methods that are not transparent.
    Evidence must be authentic, accurate and complete. (sommers, 98)

    The document was written for my own personal understanding of the field. I
    want to use it so I can pick an area (one point for the document or a few)
    and delve deeper, perhaps do a masters.  If you wish to pick any topic in
    the document I will gladly give you my point of view and even research it a
    little and give you answers.

    A new revision will be uploaded on the first week of July.  No major
    changes just making the document more readable.

    BTW I have no practical experience in this field.  I have been researching
    computer forensics for 6+ months now in my own time.  I am a system
    administrator so I do have practical experience with how a computer works
    and different problems that might arise.

    Document in question can be found at
    http://www.fineartforum.org/staff/daniel

    Hope this helps a little.

    -Daniel