Re: Where are greater risks?

From: Michael D. Barwise, BSc, IEng, MIIE (mikeat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 08:04:45 PDT

    My ideal disk copier would be a very basic PC, probably one of those
    compact industrial single-board ones, with a truly blank target disk and a
    spare port, running nothing except a custom-written native application
    which does nothing except read literal sectors from one hard disk to
    another (no OS). This application would be booted from floppy disk to start
    the copy process. The required code, if written in assembler, would be so
    small that it *could* be verified and certified by anyone competent to read
    the source code.

    The reason we don't use disk imaging software is probably that we don't
    know and can't find out what it is doing in detail (that's proprietary
    information). Many disk imagers compress their archives in an unspecified
    manner, and many use file-level copying, which both alters the layout of the
    copy and omits free and deleted space, losing a useful source of evidence.

    Mike Barwise
    Computer Security Awareness

    "Addressing the Human Equation in Information Security"