Where are the greater risks?

From: phzyat_private
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 10:27:03 PDT

    > Funny you should mention OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Don't they (and Solaris, and
    > NetBSD) have disklabels?  Which the OS will auto-generate for you if
    missing?
    > Which are different from, and don't have to agree with, the partition
    table
    > most i386 Windows people are familiar with? For which large sections of
    the
    > install FAQ's are devoted because so many people get them wrong?

    Disklabels are normally placed on the first sector of the drive right by the
    bootstrap area, in which case labels will be embedded within.
    Disklabels contain information about drive geometry AND partition layout
    addresses, etc. At initial installation time a disklabel usually won't exist
    on the target drive in which case, disklabel will query the drive itself
    for geometry, then update the on-disk AND in-core label
    with the correct information. When adding a new drive to a system
    that does not have a known entry in /etc/disktab, the disklabel -r
    option will query the disk itself.

    When the system boots up, a kernel disk driver will be loaded ('wdc' for
    instance),
    the geometry information the driver relays to the user is the disk's 'real
    geometry'
    not the BIOS translated geometry. However, if an older disk is encountered
    on
    boot, sometimes the wd_get_params() function will return CMD_ERR; in which
    case the driver will fake drive geometry information in order to read the
    MBR.

    Irregardless, if you don't feel comfortable about the geometry information
    that
    is being detected, supplement through proper procedure and define the
    correct drive geometry in BIOS.

    > The reality is many of us will not be ending up in court, or anywhere
    > else as strict. We have (and accept) lesser goals, different requirements,
    and
    > limited resources.  We're interested in finding out what happened so that
    we
    > can stop it _now_ and then make sure it doesn't happen again, or at least
    > mitigate the risks.

    Granted, lesser goals, different requirements, however you cannot honestly
    state
    with 100% certainty that you will never end up in court. You don't know.
    What if
    a significant dollar amount is connected to the investigation of a breakin,
    and your
    boss wants to recoup some of that cost in civil court? Or what if that
    breakin was a
    part of a much larger, more serious attack in which criminal charges are
    pending?
    You should do your best to maintain the integrity of any evidence collected,
    irregardless
    of its intended purpose. Following proper procedure has nothing todo with
    having limited resources at your disposal.

    - phzy

    --
    Sent with Antiplur webmail: http://www.antiplur.com

    and tracking system please see: