Re: File times?

From: daniel heinonen (d.heinonenat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 17:53:16 PDT

    Hi Martin,

    I have worked out a little more about how files are created.  The printed
    time confuses me as you must save the document in order for the document to
    store the printed time.  However if you save a file it will then change the
    statistics created date.

    When you go into windows explorer and right click and say new word document
    it will create a file with the following properties.  Btw i have found the
    best way to view these items is in windows explorer and right click on the
    file and select properties.  However W2K does not show you statistics where
    NT and 98 will.

    General tab:
    Friday, July 06, 2001 10:09:17 AM
    Friday, August 01, 1997 8:37:00 AM
    Friday, July 06, 2001 10:15:01 AM

    Statistics tab:
    blank
    Friday, August 01, 1997 8:37:00 AM
    Friday, July 06, 2001 10:15:01 AM

    First time is created, second is modified, third is last accessed.

    Now when you first open a document it fills in the Created and modifies the
    Last accessed times.  The august 01, 1997 time is from the
    c:\winnt\shellnew\winword8.doc file.

    So as you can see this is how someone could have a created time before the
    statistics created time.  The printed time does stump me though.
    The only way i could replicate the printed time being lower than the
    statistics created time would be to make new document in explorer.  Few
    days later open it then save it.  Then i change my time because some
    shareware program is running out then I open the document again and print
    from it then save it.  But the last accessed and modified times would have
    changed so I would then have to change the time back again open document
    and save it.  Over the space of time these is all possible but the times
    you gave were only a few days.

    I hope some of this helps and please let me know if you work it out.

    Also just for your information word 97 stores the last 10 authors by
    default.  This is stored with the authors name having a space after each
    character.

    Word Microsoft kb articles of relevance:
    Q172875 - WD97: General Document Properties Incorrect During Save
    Q223790 - WD97: How to Minimize Metadata in Microsoft Word Documents
    Q195005 - WD97: Some Document Properties Populated Automatically

    -Daniel Heinonen