Re: Where is the data written?

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhwat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 18:36:12 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 03:10:59PM -0400, Dave Ausdenmoore wrote:
    > Not directly related to these lists, or forensics per se, but a curious
    > trivia type question from a class I'm assisting with a FLETC, and I don't
    > have the answer -

    > When data is written to a media, does the storage start at the outside of
    > the platter and work it's way in, or start at the innermost area of the
    > media and work it's way out?  Is there a reference floppys and HDD's? SCSI
    > vs. IDE? Or is it based on manufactuer's perference?

    	Typically, for "rotating magnetic" (hard drives, floppies, etc)
    and others with concentric tracks, track zero starts on the outside and
    increasing tracks progress toward the center.  These are also your
    "constant angular velocity" drives and the outer tracks have the highest
    head to media velocity and, consequently, the best signal to noise
    ratio.

    	CD Roms and DVDs are actually "constant linear velocity" drives
    and utilize a single spiral track which starts at the hub and progresses
    outward.  That's why you can have "mini" CDs and "Business Card" CDs,
    because the drive, in this case, starts and the hub, which is at the same
    location for all of them, and spirals outward.

    	CDs and DVDs are standardized.  They would have to be the same.

    	I know of no reason which would force a drive maker to map a
    magnetic drive track zero to the outer track, but it makes sense to
    start at your best signal position for your most critical tracks and
    work inward.  I don't know of any exceptions to that, but anything is
    possible...  :-)

    > TIA

    > aus
    > Dave Ausdenmoore          |
    > 1000 Sycamore St. Rm 110  |          "The future Masters of Technology
    > Cincinnati, Oh 45202      |                  will have to be
    > 513.946.6688(office)      |             lighthearted and intelligent.
    > 513.470.0986(cellular)    |              The Machine easily masters
    > 513.269.1336(pager)       |                the grim and the dumb."
    > daussieat_private (personal)|             -- Marshall McLuhan, 1969
    > aussieat_private (business)

    > and tracking system please see:

    > http://aris.securityfocus.com

    	Mike
    --
     Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhwat_private
      (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/