RE: RE: Anonymity

From: Eric D. Williams (ericat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 07:47:33 PDT

    Mark et. al.;

    I think this, given your query, the best resource for your endeavor would be a
    simple approach.  Often the method used to discover so called, anonymous users
    is quite unsophisticated - the use of search engine services.  The most oft
    used approach is to query internet based search engines for eMail addresses or
    other WHOIS derived information.

    This approach can get you closer to your target 'user' through the use of data
    abstraction on the results.  Additionally, from your comments re:
    advertising/spamming outfits do not engage in any scouring of the data for
    specifics beyond domain name or geographical information (for alleged
    targeting).  They also use these techniques as well as web spidering (usually
    of eMail archives) and purchase of information from companies who sell
    information about users.  It is typically not a technological regime that
    results in demographically specific targeting, it's more of a "shot-gun to kill
    a fly" approach at best.  Your use should also use these methods but in
    addition attempt to further derive user origin by searching for postings using
    the suspected eMail address to glean other information (such as signatures).
     Typically, these methods will get minimal results if the user wants to remain
    anonymous and only uses such an account to maintain that anonymity but it's
    worth a shot.

    Providers usually do not provide information gathered on users of there
    services unless provided for in privacy policy (usually for a fee) and then
    (and often) if a user wants she may obscure actual identity by falsifying that
    information as well.  Even when a user is using a for-fee service a close
    reading of the privacy policy is in order as it may present a window of
    opportunity to solicit information about a specific user.  Many of these
    policies do provide a legality window for targeting such activities.

    With respect to protecting your clients trademarked property, that is a more
    difficult process that is not necessarily a result of the registration regime
    but rather the creative use of the registration system by your clients nemesis
    e.g. you have most likely attempted to register your domains and derivative
    domains (a costly affair as you are aware) - thus the $1k transfers.  As long
    as the registrations fall outside the ambit of actual infringement (or product
    confusion) you are indeed on your own.  I would use techniques similar to those
    described above to scrutinize the websites (if any) established by the perp as
    well, or hire a firm that does.

    Hope this helps.

    Eric

    Eric Williams, Pres.
    Information Brokers, Inc.    Phone: +1 202.889.4395
    http://www.infobro.com/        Fax: +1 202.889.4396
                   mailto:ericat_private
               For More Info: infoat_private
                        PGP Public Key
       http://new.infobro.com/KeyServ/EricDWilliams.asc
    Finger Print: 1055 8AED 9783 2378 73EF  7B19 0544 A590 FF65 B789