Re: Putting a signature on logs

From: ryan.b.lynchat_private
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 14:01:13 PDT

    I think that the original question, "Gee, how do we know that these logs
    haven't been altered?", can never be answered in the absolute affirmative.
    Even if a checksum of a hard drives' contents is computed at the time of
    seizure, the court must still rely upon the word of the person who
    collected the drive... That is, until we discover some means of persuading
    criminals to compute checksums of their own drives after committing crimes.

    The validity of any piece of evidence rests on a court's belief that the
    evidence is valid.  The lab in which I work uses strict chain-of-custody
    procedures (i.e., you're fired if you fail to properly control evidence),
    coupled with EnCase, to provide some degree of support for our claims that
    we have not tampered with evidence.  We photograph our work from the moment
    FedEx delivers the package up until the drive has been acquired, and depend
    on EnCase's checksums to ensure that our analysis has not changed the data.

    Even so, we could be lying the whole time.  It's theoretically possible
    that the lab writes new data to the drive or erases critical evidence
    before we compute the checksums.

    The real guarantee of validity lies in the reputation of both our firm and
    the partners who testify on our behalf.  I, the office peon, do not walk
    into a courtroom and provide testimony as to the validity of our procedures
    and evidence.  My boss, a former Secret Service agent with years of
    experience in computer crime investigations, does that.  And yes, the
    opposing counsel could claim that even she has participated in some kind of
    mass conspiracy to tamper with evidence... But generally, those kind of
    claims don't fly in court (there are exceptions--a certain ex-football
    player, for instance).

    Not even the police, who regularly present forensic evidence in court, can
    avoid this issue.  How does the court know that the bag of cocaine on the
    prosecutor's table is, in fact, the same bag found in the defendant's home?
    Because the officers, the lab workers, and the forensics experts will all
    swear by it, and these peoples' reputations are (generally) trusted.

    This is the first time I've written in to this list, so I'm not entirely
    sure if something this philosophical is really appropriate, but I think
    it's an important point.  I'm hardly an expert in the field, so I'd
    appreciate it if anyone can correct any mistakes in my reasoning.
    computer.