RE: Securely Wiping a Hard Drive

From: Paran0ia Unlimited. (unlimited_paran0iaat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 04:07:56 PDT

    >I am looking for a utility that I could use to wipe hard drives using a
    >boot
    >disk.  To completely overwrite the entire drive, I would need to boot to a
    >different device.  Correct?  If I slave a hard drive and boot to the
    >master,
    >doesn't Windows still create a recycle bin on the slave?  Would mounting it
    >with Linux be a better solution?  Which Linux program works best?
    >
    >I am only looking to delete company data, not classified....I know about
    >the
    >NISPOM specs.
    >

    >Pete Henderson
    >
    >pete.hendersonat_private

    http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/

    did the trick for me (never did any actual forensics to see if the data can
    be read though  :(  )
    The extremely paranoid run takes 24 hours (200MHz machine, 4GB HD)

    Good feel factor though :)

    Paran0ia
    --------
    If they weren't all out to get me ... I would have no reason to be Paran0id!