Re: Recover Information

From: //Stany (stanyat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 18:46:05 PDT

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, [iso-8859-1] Juan Vásquez wrote:

    > I need to recover critical information in Windows 2000...
    >
    > Someone delete the information on Trash can...
    >
    > How can I recover the information?
    >
    > or
    >
    > where can I find software about it?
    >
    > Tank you

    First thing you probably want to do is shut down the system that had the
    files deleted, and remove the hard drive.  Then you probably want to find
    another system with Windows, and install the hard drive into that system
    as a second hard drive (drive D: or however it will be called).  Then you
    probably want to find out if the drive on which the deleted data resides
    has FAT or NTFS filesystem, and buy and install software that can undelete
    the files for you.    You probably might want to look into Norton
    Utilities (http://www.symantec.com/nu/nu_9x/features.html) and Undelete
    (http://www.execsoft.com/undelete/about/undelete.asp).

    The main reason I recommend you use a different system to actually attempt
    the recovery is to minimise any accidental overwriting of the files.

    Hope this helps.   Have a nice day.

    Signed:
    //Stany
    --
    +-------+ Stanislav N Vardomskiy - Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis[TM] +-------+
    | "Backups we have; it's restores that we find tricky." Richard Letts at ASR  |