Re: Re-constructing disks

From: Kurt Seifried (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 14:23:35 PDT

    > Hello
    >
    > Disks keep getting bigger :-(

    Good and bad, good because it makes it less likely that data is overwritten,
    bad because it makes finding that data harder.

    > It is straight forward to split up a large disk in to CD-R size chunks but
    > am I missing something painfully obvious for a reconstruction of a disk
    from
    > said CD-Rs? I assume you need a large holding disk in order to

    How are you splitting it up exactly? That sort of is important.  Also what
    are you backing up, the entire device, or the partitions?

    > cat img.1 img.2 img.3 etc etc > /dev/disk-whatever (or using | dd
    > of=/dev/disk and options to maintain blocksizes, etc)
    >
    > [gzip, zcat, etc could be used to reduce the image sizes but becomes
    > somewhat hard to predict with regard to compressibility without a dry-run]
    >
    > Is there any easy way to append from individual CDs to a device file?

    sure. use dd. dd has lots of nifty options.

    > Feel free to point out the painfully obvious and any hints as to what to
    do
    > as disks get way too big ;-)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Neil

    Assuming it's a backup image of some type lay it back onto a disk and it
    should work, or if you only backed up the partition (as opposed to the whole
    device) you should be able to mount it using a loopback filesystem.

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    http://www.seifried.org/security/