Re: Re-constructing disks

From: adam (adamdat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 15:16:08 PDT

    If your writing out to a harddisk then you can perform the whole
    operation using dd.
    say your image size is 629,153,280 bytes in size,

    dd if=/cdrom/image.001 of=/dev/sda bs=512
    umount /cdrom
    *load new cd*
    mount /cdrom
    dd if=/cdrom/image.002 of=/dev/sda bs=512 seek=1228815
    umount /cdrom
    *load cd*
    mount /cdrom
    dd if=/cdrom/image.003 of=/dev/sda bs=512 seek=2457630

    and so on, you could do the whole thing in a shell script that ejects the
    cdrom and then pauses and beeps so you can load the new one and press any
    key to continue if you'd like. It is alot easier if you have all the
    images on a partition. A CD tower or dukebox could be a good option.

    Hope it helps
    Adam

    Technical Consultant
    FORENSIC DATA SERVICES PTY LIMITED
    http://www.forensicdata.com.au
    intended solely for the addressee. If you received this e-mail by
    mistake please notify us immediately and delete all copies of this
    message. You must not disclose or use in any way the information in the
    e-mail. It is the responsibility of the recipient to virus scan this
    e-mail and any attachments included.