RE: Evidence Dynamics, was => Re: boobytraps

From: Matt Pepe (mtpepe@code-monks.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 11:19:06 PST

    >Eoghan Casey's book discusses evidence dynamics,
    >and Rob Lee (http://www.incident-response.org) has
    >an excellent analogy, that of a murder
    >investigation, which I'll paraphrase:
    >Assume you walk into a store, and you notice
    >someone lying on the floor.  Assume you approach
    >the person and try to see if they're all right.
    >You roll them over and see a pool of blood under
    >them.  You call 911 and the paramedics arrive.
    >They attempt to revive the person and then get
    >them into the ambulance and take them to the
    >hospital.  In the doctor's care, the victim dies.
    > However, the police can still investigate the
    >crime, and even prosecute the guilty party.

     Actually, I contend that this is an invalid analogy.
    If a body is disturbed, forensic evidence from fluids
    and fibers remains intact, unless you decide to clean
    up really quick and pile a few bodies in the corner..
     On the digital side, if actions are taken, there is
    a nearly 100% chance that the media will be altered.

     I do see and agree with your point though. If a
    system is powered up, there are valid reasons to
    complete a limited live review of the system. (I think
    I read this in a book somewhere ;) ) You have to know
    what and why you are doing those things ahead of time,
    as well as what the consequences are of each action.
    Having a defined action plan that you have used in the
    past is quite essential to success during the litigation
    process.

    -- Matt Pepe
    --- www.incidentresponsebook.com
    (to be updated when our ops tempo slows! hehe)