Re: Exchange/MAPI message origin

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 11:13:44 PST

    On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 04:59:35PM -0700, Settle, Sean wrote:
    > Is there a tool to determine which computer a MAPI message was sent from?
    > We would like to be able to determine the origin machine of email messages
    > as needed but have not had much luck finding a tool to give us this
    > information.

    Sean, get the full email-headers. Within those headers, you will find
    liens similar to:

            by outgoing.securityfocus.com (Postfix) with QMQP
            id 2945FA3286; Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:31:38 -0700 (MST)

    As long as your exchange server hasn't been compromised in some way, the
    details are given by the end-user, and can thus be faked. Note that some
    details may be looked up in DNS, and thus can be faked, though with more
    difficulty. Since the connections to a server are TCP based, it is
    harder to fake the IP address.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Join the fight against terrorism by giving up your liberties today!