Re: Encase and data recovery

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 10:22:39 PST

    On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 01:00:17PM -0700, Pence, Derek A. wrote:
    > So is this just an NTFS issue, or is it true for other file systems as
    > well.  That is, rather, is overwritten data never again accessible?

    Peter Gutmann has done outstanding research on recovering overwritten
    data from magnetic media. I think the gist of it: overwritten data _can_
    be recovered -- but the expense may be higher than the data is worth.

    And yes, practically all filesystems share this trait. WORM drives
    (Write Once, Read Many) do not. CD-Rs do not. Etc. :)

    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/

    --
    http://immunix.org/