Re: Encase and data recovery

From: Michael D. Barwise, BSc, IEng, MIIE, MBCS (mikeat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 06:25:28 PST

    Date sent:      	Wed, 20 Mar 2002 01:41:30 -0500
    From:           	rsgilmoreat_private
    To:             	"forensicsat_private" <forensicsat_private>
    Subject:        	Re: Encase and data recovery

    I'm afaid not. "Copy-II-PC" ran as a DOS application. I'm suggesting
    a totally OS-free system using a few kB of dedicated machine code.

    The reason is that even a DOS environment could be contaiminated by
    doing other things with the platform. A one-job machine stays clean
    much more *demonstrably*. Remember that forensics is not just about
    being right- it's about being right *and convincing*, and your most
    important audience (the jury) normally hasn't a clue what you're
    talking about technically.

    I don't know them myself, but another correspondent has mailed me
    with two potential tools
    "the Solo <http://www.ics-iq.com/html/forensics.html>
    and Solitaire <http://www.logicube.com/store/solitaire_turbo.html>
    disk duplicators."