Re: Hibernation and Forensics

From: Suresh P (suryaat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 00:18:59 PDT

    Hi,
    What are the tools that you use to read the Image of the
    hibernated system files and even the normal images. Just
    hex editor's with some kind of data recognition or rippers that can
    identify and extract multiple file types or something else?

    In my opinion and based on the analysis i have done, the best option
    for NT/2K machine would be to 'pull the plug' after the initial analysis
    of the box is complete. NTFS survives the crash always (atleast most
    of the times).

    If it is win based compromised machine, there may be a possibility
    of things being reset or initialized at the next reboot. So, if the
    hibernate
    option exists and the OS and Machine supports, the best part is to do
    it. Then remove the HDD and proceed the offline analysis using an
    image. If not, after collecting the live data from the system, it is
    recommended to pull the plug and continue the offline analysis of the
    image.

    Cheers,
    Suresh Ponnusami,
    Internet Security Consultant,