RE: Imaging a "live" system

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 08:17:24 PDT

    > It just depends.  Sometimes collecting volatile info
    > only becomes tedious and cumbersome, and really puts
    > your footprints all over the system (more so than
    > just imaging the live system).

    Imaging a live system would then have to include
    imaging RAM (volatile memory), and then being able to
    pull something meaningful out of it; ie, running
    processes.

    As far as footprints...well, there would be some
    footprints, particularly within the volatile
    information you're collecting.  For example, if you're
    grabbing process data using pslist.exe, then one of
    the processes you grab will be pslist.exe.  If you
    open a socket to send the info to a remote server (w/
    a listener), then yes, you do make some modifications
    to the system.  However, as long as you aren't
    actually modifying any of the non-volatile data (or if
    you do, you document it thoroughly), I still don't see
    the advantages of making a "live" image.

    > I'm not sure about admins and what they're doing.
    > From the investigative side I think some folks are
    > doing it right.

    I would agree.  My experience is from working with
    admins, as a fellow admin, and as a consultant, as
    well as teaching my IR course.

    > Methodologies do exist in various
    > formats for a) steps to be taken b) tools to use c)
    > chain of custody for evidence, etc.  For both live
    > and post mortem analysis.

    Yes, I've seen them.  However, what about specific
    methodologies for collecting volatile data from NT/2K
    systems?  Or just how to to IR on these systems?  Most
    of the methodologies that you mention are specific to
    Linux...which leaves a lot of NT/2K admins out of the
    loop.

    > Data forensics has been
    > going on for a long time now and when looking at a
    > stand alone pc or a simple server that's a no
    > brainer.  The toughies are now the handhelds and
    > other non-standard PC devices that contain
    > electronic data.   As well as mainframes, mid
    > frames, etc.

    Agreed.  But data forensics is at the extreme end of
    the IR spectrum...there is still a lot of ground that
    isn't covered.  I think that it's possible to develop
    a methodology for IR (particularly on NT/2K
    systems...which is where I "live" right now) that will
    allow an admin or incident handler to turn over his
    data and documentation to LEOs, and they will still be
    able to obtain a conviction.

    This steps into the arena of "evidence dynamics", as
    mentioned in Eoghan Casey's latest book.

    > As for tools . . . I think it would be 'difficult'
    > for a tool to grab all necessary volatile info -
    > especially an automated one.

    Right now, I'm "living" in the Win32 arena, as I
    mentioned.  I think I've come up with a framework for
    doing just this...and I'm working on implementing it.
    Using three separate client components...one for
    collecting specific volatile/non-volatile data, one
    for running external commands (like fport, pslist,
    handle, etc) and one for automating the copying of
    files (to include computing/verifying hashes, etc)...I
    think I've been able to cover almost all the bases.
    By building a backend server application that collects
    the data and documents the entire process, I think
    I've pretty much got it.

    I've presented this to others, who have found it
    useful enough to want to create clients for other
    systems.

    Carv