RE: Imaging a "live" system

From: Jonathan Bloomquist (bocasolutionsat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 12:25:33 PDT

    --- Mark Menz <markmenzat_private> wrote:
    --snip--
    > > One of the best things about a live system is the
    > > volatile info
    >
    > Agreed.  However, I think we need to address the
    > issue
    > of methodologies...like develop one.  From my
    > perspective at this point, very few admins are
    > collecting this information.  Now, I understand that
    > not every situation requires it, but some do...and I
    > think admins aren't doing it for a couple of
    > reasons.
    >
    > First, there isn't even a framework, let alone a
    > methodology, available.

    OK

    > Second, no one really wants to do all the repetitive
    > documenting of their actions...they'd rather just
    > get
    > on with it.

    BAD idea.  I am no forensics expert, but I would say
    documenting the actions of the examiner should be key
    so it can be shown that the examiner did not alter the
    system.

    > Third...and I think this was brought out at
    > CanSecWest
    > to a degree...most don't know how to interpret the
    > data they do get.  The issues seem to be as much a
    > lack of time as they are a lack of skill.

    Well, now that really is a problem.

    > What if there were some way to collect this
    > information in a "clean" manner that also performed
    > the necessary documentation?  What if the collection
    > of volatile (and some non-volatile) information
    > could
    > be automated and thoroughly documented?

    How about keeping a ledger of all commands used and
    using a few tools from read-only media to gather state
    info and pipe the output to floppy.  e.g. (for
    starters):

    d:\netstat -an >> a:\gather.txt  # current connections

    d:\fport >> a:\gather.txt    # applications bound to
    ports

    d:\set >> a:\gather.txt   # env variables

    d:\pslist >> a:\gather.txt  # processes

    =====
    Jonathan Bloomquist, CISSP