RE: Bates Numbering White Paper

From: Christopher Brown (clbrownat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 18:05:57 PDT

    Kurt,
    Good points of discussion. First of all let me point out that each
    reader is encouraged to tweak the Bates numbering examples as needed for
    their situation. I didn't originate these methods only implemented and
    modified as needed. Consistency is a good thing, but let's face it each
    case is different.

    >Silly question but what happenes when you encounter a filename with the
    extensions "___"?

    Actually a good question. From a logic standpoint since the file
    extension would already exist, only the Bates number would be inserted.
    I think the most important issue here is that you would not know if the
    rules put the extension there, or if it pre existed without referring to
    the original file.

    From my point of view the underscored file extension is really only
    there to show you that the Bates number was inserted rather than
    appended and to provide uniformity.

    >It seems to me that some software might get confused/do the wrong thing
    if I have a number of >files with no extension and other files with the
    same name but extension of "___". Does one get processed first, and the
    second one overwrites it?

    The bates number would be different for each file:

    FileOne.ABCD00001.___
    FileOne.ABCD00002.___
    FileOne.ABCD00003.___

    Once of the most useful things about bates numbering of computer files
    is that each number is unique, thus giving you a way to refer to several
    "readme.txt" files, etc.

    >Do the programs prompt the user for action?

    Depends on the utility you use. There are many file naming utilities
    that will give you a high  of control in renaming schemes. From the
    forensics side of the house I only have experience with ProDiscover
    which we produce and the Maresware's (www.dmares.com) utility. Since we
    produce ProDiscover I will not speak to it, but the Maresware utility is
    vary flexible.

    Christopher L. T. Brown
    Technology Pathways LLC
    clbrownat_private