Re: TCT / tctutils for HP-UX 11.00 + some insight into unrm'ing large files

From: Knut Eckstein (knutat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 15:18:05 PDT

    Hi,

    sorry, I fat-finger-mouse-clicked and sent the last message while unrm was
    still running :-| Below is the rest of the time measurements.

    After some more head-scratching, I think I have an explanation for the
    points where the allocation strategy changes. The first change occurres,
    after approx. 750 MB have been written to disk. This is the point, where
    all existing cylinder groups have been filled to 25%. The second change
    occurres slightly above 1.5 GB, i.e. all cylinder groups in the FS are
    now 50% full.

    Best regards,

    Knut

    > The machine is a 1995 99 MHz PARisc and one 9GB disc is connected to
    > the fast narrow SCSI bus. Both the unrm "source" and "target" partition
    > reside on the same physical drive, so I assume there is a lot of
    > head-movement involved... Also, the high amount of fragmentation that
    > I observed in the "source" file might slow things down a bit.
    >
    > # time bigfile 2113536 > /big/bigfile
    >
    > real    12:21.4
    > user     9:29.1
    > sys      2:11.0

    [ filling up /big ]

    # df -g /big
    /big                   (/dev/vg00/lvol4       ) :
            8192 file system block size            1024 fragment size
         3005449 total blocks                         0 total free blocks
               0 allocated free blocks           492800 total i-nodes
          492786 total free i-nodes              492786 allocated free i-nodes
      1073741828 file system id                     hfs file system type
            0x10 flags                             255 file system name length
            /big file system specific string

    # ls -l /big/bigfile
    -rw-rw-rw-   1 root       sys        2164260864 Jul  5 18:21 /big/bigfile

    # rm /big/bigfile

    # time /usr/local/tct/bin/unrm /dev/vg00/lvol4 > /big2/unrm-out

    real  2:46:13.1
    user       51.8
    sys      6:08.9

    # time checkbig < /big2/unrm-out > /big2/checklog3

    real    11:14.0
    user     1:49.9
    sys      4:07.1

    I also started another unrm using /dev/vg00/rlvol4 .
    Results look pretty similar so far: 120 MB in the first 10 minutes...