Release : LogAgent 2.1, log file recollection tool

From: Floydman (floydian_99at_private)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 15:42:04 PDT

    Sorry for the repost, but one of the list moderator asked for only a
    resume,so I thought the other lists might be the same.  You can get the
    full paper at one of my websites.

    LogAgent 2.1, log file recollection tool
    By Floydman, floydian_99at_private
    August 11th, 2002

    This paper is available online at www.geocities.com/floydian_99 and
    http://securit.iquebec.com

    This paper can be freely distributed and reproduced, as long as correct
    credentials are maintained, and that no modifications are made to this
    file.  For corrections, suggestions or comments, please send me an e-mail.

    Abstract

    The goal of this paper is to present LogAgent 2.1, a tool made in Perl for
    recollecting log files from various applications and various machines into
    a central location in (almost) real-time, in order to improve the
    administrator's network activity awareness.

    Preface

    It has been mentionned many time by me and my others that centralization of
    log files is crucial is network administration is we take security
    seriously.  These log files could be produced by antivirus engines,
    personal firewalls, download managers, or even the command prompt history
    (using ComLog).  When comes the time to choose computer security tools, one
    of the most important feature should be the ability to centralize the
    information contained in the log files.  This allows for quicker
    understanding and better response from the admins, ans it prevents the
    evidence from being tampered by a potential intruder.  So because of this,
    somehow good products could be overlooked simply because they fail to
    provide this single feature, and sometimes this leads to purchasing a
    product that offers (and sells) many other features not necessarily needed,
    or products that are not as flexible as desired when comes the time to make
    it work on your environment.  In order to resolve this, I programmed
    LogAgent, now at version 2.1, which is an agent that you can run on all
    your Windows machines to monitor the log files of various unrelated
    applications and to redirect any new input made to these files to one or
    many central locations (a shared directory on one of your servers or admin
    station).

    Targeted audience

    This document is presented to anyone who has interests in computer
    security, NT/2K Administration, computer monitoring, intrusion detection,
    Perl programming and computing in general.

    Table of contents

    1. What is LogAgent?
    2. History behind LogAgent
    3. Version History
    4. Known issues
    5. To install
    6. Source code
    7. Sample config.txt
    8. sample mondir.txt

    1. What is LogAgent?

    LogAgent is a piece of software made in Perl designed to monitor ascii log
    files and redirect any change made to it to a central location. The purpose
    of this is to add flexibility in some security (or other) applications on
    the choice of destination folder for the log files. The ability to specify
    your own destination folder for log files could be a crucial requirement in
    your specification for a security software, and good products can be
    overlooked simply because they lack this single feature. LogAgent tries to
    fill that gap by monitoring the log files on the local machine, and then
    redirects any new line appended to it to the destination of your choice,
    either on another folder on the same machine or to a remote server for
    network-wide log file centralization.