Re: Red Hat Box..

From: Will Tell (nosphieat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 08:24:04 PDT

    Hello Dan,
    I think the rootkit is renamed or so old that i never
    heard something about it.
    A "good" cracker do some changings to the rootkits he
    uses. So you do not know what to to to get rid of it .
    But i thing this rootkit have to be a very old or
    stupid one if it kills "ps" and hurts "netstat".
    You might never found it if this do not happened. *lol*
    To the exploit: Might be this...
    http://packetstormsecurity.nl/UNIX/penetration/rootkits/wu-ftpd-2.6.2-backdoored.gz
    If you do not need it you should not use FTP anymore...

    Good luck

         Will Tell
    >From: "Dan Fry" <Danat_private>
    >To: <forensicsat_private>
    >Subject: Red Hat Box..
    >Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:55:12 +0100

    charset="iso-8859-1"

    >Hi,
    >A Few Nights ago, i noticed that there was some errors
    on my Red Hat box, i
    >am a newbie at Linux, so these errors just confused
    me, the "ps" command had
    >dissapeard from the system, and "netstat" was present,
    but never worked, i
    >inititally assumed it was the application paths, but i
    was wrong.
    >i ran the chkrootkit program/scripts and it detected
    several "infected
    >programs"
    >
    >Checking `top'... INFECTED
    >Checking `ps'... INFECTED
    >Checking `netstat'... INFECTED
    >Checking `ifconfig'... INFECTED
    >Checking `hdparm'... INFECTED
    >
    >omg! i been hacked.. argh!
    >
    >after a bit of investigation,
    >i found a packetsniffer on the compter and a log cleaner.
    >here is how... (and the lists of files etc)
    >
    >[root@Rah dan]# find / -name ".*" -print -xdev | cat -v
    >/dev/ida/.sys
    >/dev/ida/.inet
    >
    >^^ hidden directories.. lets check them out.. :o)
    >

    >[root@Rah dan]# cd /dev/ida/.sys
    >[root@Rah .sys]# ls -la
    >total 36
    >drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Aug 17 22:20 .
    >drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root        32768 Aug 17 22:20 ..
    >-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1345 Sep  9
    1999 cleaner

    >[root@Rah .sys]# ./cleaner
    >* sauber by socked [07.27.97]
    >* Usage: cleaner <string>
    >
    >[root@Rah .sys]#
    >
    >and the other dir...?
    >
    >[root@Rah .sys]# cd /dev/ida/.inet
    >[root@Rah .inet]# ls -la
    >total 255
    >drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Aug 17 22:20 .
    >drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root        32768 Aug 17 22:20 ..
    >-rwx------    1 root     root         7165 Sep 26
    1983 linsniffer
    >-rwx------    1 root     root           75 Sep 26
    1983 logclear
    >-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            6 Aug 17
    22:20 pid
    >-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          705 Jul 29 18:13 s
    >-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         4060 Sep 26
    1983 sense
    >-rwx------    1 root     root       208488 Jul 29
    18:25 sshdu
    >-rw-------    1 root     root          541 Sep 26
    1983 ssh_host_key
    >-rw-------    1 root     root          512 Aug 17
    22:20 ssh_random_seed
    >-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Aug 17
    22:20 tcp.log
    >[root@Rah .inet]#
    >
    >packet sniffer in here and another log cleaner..
    >the tcp.log was empty, they didnt seem to have time to
    execute the sniffer.

    >i have got the login times on FTPd and IP's (but it
    seems that the host that
    >"hacked" me, has been "hacked" itself, should i notify
    the administrators?)
    >that match what the user was doing, but they haven't
    left any bash_historys
    >or anything, i would like to know what they executed
    if possible, and what
    >exploit they used, i am 99% sure they came in thu FTP,
    but it doesn't seem
    >to have been buffer overflow'd or anything, i am
    running wu-2.6.1-18

    >on the remote site they attackd me from, it seems they
    was trying to
    >download "kfn.tar.gz" i cant find a reference to this
    "rootkit" anywhere,
    >has anyone heard of it?
    >even if no one can awnser my questions, or point me in
    the right direction,
    >just thought it would be good to show people the steps
    me (the newbie) took
    >to find out the attacker's motives etc.
    >it seems the attacker go cut from my computer, as it
    was on a dialup with a
    >2hour cut off, lol.. so they was out of luck.
    >any info or help would be appericated. (like what to
    do when a computer is
    >compramised etc)
    >

    >- Dan.
    >Aug 17 22:21:10 Rah syslogd 1.4.1: restart. :(

    >This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS
    analyzer service.
    >For more information on this free incident handling,
    management
    http://aris.securityfocus.com