try a chkdsk /f Re: Hidden files on NTFS

From: InternetSmiths (ndhat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 19:40:38 PDT

    brian,

    I just had a disk defragmenting program "eat" over a gig of space. chkdsk
    /f got it back. No files (that I know of) were lost, just that the HD went
    from 1.3 gig free to 10 k free.
    There is a note in the SANS Security Essentials course about some tools but
    my course manuals are at work - www.sans.org.

    nigel

    At 11:42 AM 9/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
    >I have a 2K sever that I am unable to account for
    >several Gigs of used hard drive space.  I have used
    >several ADS and hidden files tools to no avail.  Are
    >there other ways to hide large amounts of data on
    >NTFS?  Also, I am pretty sure this box is compromised.
    >  It has every service known to man running on it (not
    >just 2K services).  Any help is greatly appreciated.

    nigel dyson-hudson, InternetSmiths, ndhat_private
    "mad dogs and Englishmen" and I am both!