More info on dd?

From: Hooper, Justin (Hooper_Jat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 07:57:44 PDT

    I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this list. I know I have learned much by reading everyone's posts. I especially enjoyed the dd|netcat thread. It never occurred to me to tie the two together, but it makes perfect sense now.

    Does anyone know where I might find more info on dd? I've tried the ldp, man pages, gnu.org, sans.org and several google searches. I'm looking for general usage information and hopefully some command-line examples to cover issues like cloning disks for forensics purposes or using dd in place of cloning software like ghost. I would also like to know about the different switches and their real-world applications (block size for instance) and whether or not dd can copy only files without slack or unallocated space.

    Thanks

    --
    Justin Hooper