Re: Dating the creation of a CD-R/RW?

From: Pedro Miller Rabinovitch (pedro.rabinovitchat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 07:13:16 PDT

    On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:07:07 -0700
    "Mark G. Spencer" <dreadnought13at_private> wrote:
    > Also, this may lead to a discussion of whether this data is even useful.
    > I am not sure how well different CD burn applications adhere to this UDF
    > format regarding dating.  I have also noticed some applications (Nero)
    > actually allow you to manipulate all the date information before
    > burning!

    Of course, even if they didn´t, the apps do have to get that information from somewhere (i.e., system clock), which is easily tampered with on most environments. Date/time stamps on media like that should only be used as clues for similar attack vectors (e.g., trojaned system files with dates similar to the CD stamp), *NOT* direct evidence.

    Cheers

    	Pedro.

    --
    Pedro Miller Rabinovitch
    Diretoria de Tecnologia

    ______
    "Segurança em TI - uma especialidade Cipher Technology"